Wednesday, April 21, 2010

THe results are in...

I'm not perfect!


Okay...Okay I already knew this. We had our follow-up appointment with Dr.K last week to go over my blood test. Sorry it's taken me a few days to blog about it. It was a lot to take in and very emotional for me.

Out of the 11 test only 2 came back abnormal. No this isn't what I hoped for but I'm very optimistic! I cried my little heart out for the majority of the day. You see I just wanted everything to be okay for once...for it to be easy. Well easy doesn't like me. Sometimes I really hate that I'm the one one with the issues but that's just the way it is.

On a positive note the 2 issues are easy to fix. I will explain these to the best of my ability.

*MTHFR mutation

This is hereditary...thanks mom or dad.

The MTHFR enzyme is responsible for creating the circulating form of folate. Folate is important in regulating homocysteine levels. When these levels are elevated in women it can cause miscarriage and increased risk of fetal open neural tube defects. All pregnant women are suppose to take folic acid to prevent neural tube defects. In my case I'll just have to extra to balance out my homocysteine levels.

So Dr.K prescribed me a vitamin with folic acid, B6 and B12 in it. It's a 3 in one. I'll take 1 a day till I'm pregnant and up it to 2 a day.

It is a blessing that I found this information out. This mutation is also linked to put me (and my mom or dad) at risk for heart disease. Since I have this knowledge I can prevent it!


*APS....Blood clotting issues
My Antiphospholipid Antibdy report came back stating that my Cardiolipin IgM level tested positive and my Phosphatidly Inositol IgM level tested borderline. SO in English this means: I may have issues with my blood clotting more than normal. They are going to do these 2 test again the 1st week in May. They say that sometimes they will get a false positive when they are just above normal. I am just praying and believing that this is the case. If not I will have to take Heparin shots twice a day or Lovenox once a day my entire pregnancy. I was a little put out about this...I mean who wants to take shots every day for 9 months! At this point I will do what ever it takes to get and stay pregnant. So if that means I have to poke myself everyday so be it. If that's the case I'm hoping insurance will cover them...seeing that they are about $20-$30 a shot. Times that by 30 days for 9 months....okay lets don't do that after all. That is way too much money and it gives me anxiety!
Oh the reason for the shots...well of course to prevent blood clots! APS is associated with pregnancy loss in any trimester, placental thrombosis (blood clots), and small placentae. The interruption of the circulation to the fetus via these blood clots is a possible reason for miscarriage. So this could be the culprit for my 3 miscarriages I've had outside of my 2 tubals. Though I'm not a fan of having issues it is nice to finally get some answers.
So our next step is to go back around May 3rd. We will retest and wait for the results before we can go any farther.
I hope your retina's aren't bleeding at this point but I have to tell you 1 more thing. You see after I go and hear all of this I come home and throw a little tantrum. A very grown-up tantrum! I have a little cry session, get mad, scream/shout and doubt myself about the whole process.
Then just as I'm doubting... God reveals his mercy and grace. At church on Sunday I had a woman come up and hand me a check. She told me that she prays for me all the time and knows that I'm having a hard time with this. She tells me that she wants to bless us and to put this money towards our in vitro bills. I could hardly believe it! I was completely shocked. After I get in the car I open the check...it is $150! Tears just stream down my cheeks. You see every time I start to lose hope and doubt all of this....God shows up in ways I never imagine.

2 comments:

  1. Oh that gives me chills!! There are some wonderful people out there. Positive thoughts and prayers for you and Matt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. being easy just ain't our style, gorgeous!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete